LINE : @UFAPRO888S

uses of chives

Common culinary uses for garlic chives include traditional Asian dishes like pork and chive potstickers, stir-frys, and spring rolls. It is an anti-emetic herb that improves kidney function. How to Use Chives. Tony Lawrence from SE MA on June 16, 2010: Thank you. Other uses of the herb: The juice of the plant is used as a moth repellent. Chive flowers encourage bees to visit your garden. 10 Uses for Chives. Leaves are used fresh and can be dried but will discolor and quickly absorb moisture. He is the private butler for Mr. Goodman's family, and formerly and temporarily for Joseph in Joseph The Millionaire! I've dried, frozen and just grabbed handfulls and eaten them! Find out all about…, People have used garlic as a food and medicine for more than 5,000 years. Just a bit of warning...take the young flowers apart and bite their pieces, and take them apart when you add them to a salad. Vitamin A. Chives contain an … Chives are mainly used as a garnish to add a nice pop of color, or to boost the flavors of your favorite dishes. To flush them out, just plunge the flowers into water several time and swish them around. Dolores Monet from East Coast, United States on June 03, 2010: Sally, we have some chive growing around the side of the house and I do love the pretty flowers but never thought to add them to a salad. It helps in increasing the flow of blood in to the scalp and the hair roots, and thus increases hair growth. marisuewrites from USA on September 05, 2010: Wow,this is so interesting! I'd love to see a hub written about how chives are prepared and used in India, as I am far from expert on this topic. Recipes and uses, vitamin K: 6.38 micrograms (mcg), or 5% of the Daily Value (DV), vitamin C: 1.74 milligrams (mg), or 2% of the DV, calcium: 2.76 mg, or less than 1% of the DV, potassium: 8.88 mg, or less than 1% of the DV. Names of Garlic Chives in various languages of the world are also given. "Pepper" takes on a whole new meaning. These grow wild in a near town I pass and did not know it had many uses. I suddenly want to plant them everywhere, and not just because I know they thrive on neglect. However, dried chives have also paved their way into being an essential substitute for fresh chives. In this article, learn how it may help reduce anxiety and improve sleep. ;) I'm following you, and welcome to HP. The Best Way to Use Chives, From Soups to Vegetables to Main Dishes To use chives in just about everything you're cooking right now. The seed is carminative and stomachic. Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on May 26, 2010: It took a while to find a spot where the chives wanted to grow and thrive in our home...but we finally have found the perfect spot. You can also add fresh chive to softened cream cheese or butter for a delightful bread or bagel spread. It was na omen when I saw this hub, voted up and bookmarked. Deborah Neyens from Iowa on June 04, 2012: What a great hub! Chives are a common addition to baked potatoes in restaurants, but you can do the same at home simply by snipping a few on top of your potato when it … The authors also suggest, however, that eating high amounts of cooked onion could increase breast cancer risk. But - it was too late to stop the cutting by the time I looked out and saw. During the start of the Middle Ages, Europeans began cultivating chive herbs, to be used as a different food source. Lovely hub. I've learned a lot from this, even though I will never be a gardener. I introduced Chives ((Allium schoenoprasum) in my kitchen garden under the herb sector in 2004.I have been using the foliage of the plant ever since. Your words should dispel any doubt about the powerful persistence of Allium tuberosum, and the same may be said about Allium schoenoprasum. wadoods, thank you for your thoughtful comment. Chives are so versatile that they inspire countless projects and money-making, money-saving adventures. All rights reserved. Uses, Benefits, Cures, Side Effects, Nutrients in Garlic Chives. Flavor is much milder and more subtle than other members of the onion family. How Garlic Chives is effective for various diseases is listed in repertory format. The scapes and leaves are useds to add allium flavour, though they … Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on May 01, 2012: tillsontitan, enjoy the flowers as food. I remember your hub on onions - it was my introduction to your writing and I was so impressed! Grow chives as companion plants in your vegetable and rose gardens to encourage bees and healthy plant growth and to discourage pests and diseases. I can already picture a carafe of ice-cold water with chive-cubes. My grandpa used to add all the coffee grounds to the chives and geraniums. I have reques Diana to give the details of the procedure. Plant chives in rock gardens or on hills to minimize soil erosion. Thank you for your advice on growing chive and preserving its greens in ice. https://www.thespruceeats.com/chinese-recipes-using-garlic- Holle Abee from Georgia on June 05, 2010: I love chives and often grow my own. In important cities of India also I have not seen the species in the shops. Use chive plants to control soil erosion. Garlic chive herbs find their use in many ways, in kitchen, in ancient medical science, and also in patient diet. Jerzy Opioa, CC-BY SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons. Propagation of Garlic Chives: Seed - sow spring in a cold frame. Now there’s an idea you can use to make money! It Chives keep their lovely green color when cooked so they make a fancy addition to butter for an aromatic blended topping for corn on the cob, pasta dishes, corned beef or garlic bread. Thanks so much. Sometimes you have to experiment to find the ideal place to grow a particular plant. TY for this Hub. Also known as rush leeks, the cultivation of chives as food dates to ancient Rome. Though no research has connected chives with inflammation, one 2015 study reported that garlic may reduce inflammation in the body. Habby from College Station, Texas on May 22, 2010: Sally's Trove, you are an excellent, engaging writer! Medicinal use of Chives: The whole plant has a beneficial effect on the digestive system and the blood circulation. Victoria Lynn, plant them! Chive leaves add a mild fresh onion taste and also enhance the natural flavors of the food to which they are added. Choline is an important nutrient that helps maintain the... Other health benefits. Thanks for reading and leaving the good words. Flowers can also be harvested for use as an edible garnish. I've been growing them for years but never knew you should cut them back after they flower, nor did I know you could eat the flowers! You might be surprised at the enthusiastic reception you receive. I was just outside yesterday taking pictures of them. The following sections will discuss the potential health benefits of chives in more detail. The leaves of this plant appear only in spring. How would chives do in the Texas heat? Division and space availability makes it happy. She hadn't planted them intentionally, just thought they looked wonderful nearby. So I got to thinking about all I would miss if the chive plants hadn't made it, and thus the 10 uses. Chives are popular in French cuisine where they are one of the fines herbes, which is a term for the core set of herbs used throughout French cooking. Voted Up. The heart can be regarded as the central transport hub of the entire body. I got inspired to write this Hub when I recently waged war in my garden on a number of killing weeds and found that the chives were among the few plants that survived being strangled by those hideous weeds. People with food allergies may wish to talk to their doctor before adding chives to their diet. There is the onion chive which is the one that most of us are familiar with. I did not know that the chive flowers are edible. Usually, I add them to the compost pile, but I think I'll reserve at least some of them for the chives. But 10 seemed to be the better number. Wendy Henderson from Cape Coral on May 27, 2010: I use chives a lot. Kindly respond. The herb has high content of dietary fiber and protein. The oil has antibacterial properties. Chives can also be frozen for later use. The health benefits of having chives regularly include better eyesight, healthy heart and blood pressure levels, better bone strength, among many. Choline is an important nutrient that helps maintain the structure of cellular membranes. Recipes using chives. Make a few phone calls or visits to local restaurants or markets to see if they are interested in purchasing your surplus. :). Bibb Lettuce, Chicken, and Cherry Salad With Creamy Horseradish Dressing. People take chive to expel parasitic worms and to reduce the risk of cancer. Your enthusiasm for the idea was the push I needed. Food and Other Uses. PS> at least we dont have to go to war with the chives LOL,Me and my Canadian humor LOL. Frieda Babbley from Saint Louis, MO on May 21, 2010: Awesome hub! Barring... 3. The leaves of the plant are tapering, hollow and cylindrical and have a soft texture. If you love deviled eggs as I do, try this wonderful spicy, dicey, chivey deviled egg recipe from the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine. It has similar properties to garlic (A. sativum), but in a much milder form, and it is rarely used medicinally. In terms of culinary appeal, the flavor of chives is considerably milder than onion or garlic. Diana and FP, Allium schoenoprasum is actually native to India and China, and it is thought that Marco Polo brought this Herb to the West. Some research has also linked the chemicals in chives and other allium vegetables with anticancer effects. Although chives can be dried for storage, they lose much of their delicate savory nature in the process. Chives are a commonly used herb and can be found in grocery stores or grown in home gardens. The seeds go everywhere! You were the inspiration for it. Thanks! Create a Stunning Outdoor Garden Display. Their history takes us a way back into the middle ages. There are actually 2 different types of chives. Now I'm wondering if roses and chives don't send out some mysterious energy, like something that could be received by a sixth or seventh human sense, that actually makes us pair them up. :), Saley’s Trove your article has taken poor chives to the zenith of its existence. Chives are good for keeping your hair strong and healthy. Darlene and Hello, thank you for your good words. Do we get chives in India? Chive is an herb. They are in the Allium genus, which also includes garlic, onions, and leeks. If you like to experiment with pepper flavors, add some chive blossoms to a homemade vinaigrette that also includes some freshly ground white and black peppercorns. You can also freeze them into larger containers of water (like a gelatin mold, for example) and float the ice blocks in a punch bowl. The only thing you don’t want to do with chives is cook them for a long time — their delicate flavor and texture can’t withstand high heat. Chives lose their flavor when cooked for any length of time, so they are primarily used raw as a garnish, usually chopped, for example, on baked potatoes with sour cream. Chive Eggs (3 ways) So you technically get 3 recipes here! What was really amazing was that after he no longer was up to mowing, even right after the lawn boy cut the grass - for a long period of time, remains of the chives quickly and valiantly tried to hold forth. When frozen and brittle, pour them into plastic freezer bags, removing as much air as possible, and seal tightly. All the best to you and yours! Packaged this way, frozen chives will last in the freezer throughout the cold winter. Peggy, you bring up a good point. Of course, the main reason to grow chives is to use them as an edible crop. Frieda, I'm so glad you want to try planting chive around your roses. Since chive plants reseed so easily, you need not interfere with their reproductive process unless they are too prolific and start choking each other off, in which case you want to thin them out. The water extract got by steeping the fresh or dried stem in hot water can be used for reducing any inflammation. The resulting concoction will be rosy in color and tantalizingly flavored. You know I'm not your chive person, but they're just so darn pretty in those pictures! Trust you to know all the ins and outs of Chives. He was first mentioned by Richard Goodman in Bowser Junior's AirPods! While there are quite a few vitamins and minerals in chives, one of the most … Thanks for putting a smile on my face. This is a really informative hub. Chives may have originated in China, Siberia or Greece and are generally native to Europe, but Today, Chives sell in grocery stores and can be found freely in virtually all parts of the world. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on June 03, 2012: toomuchmint, what a great comment! :). But then, after my darling late husband went outside one day and removed all the logs from around all the remainders of the veggie garden - and then around my still thriving herb garden, I became a bit alarmed. Any medical information published on this website is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Gut bacteria can help rebuild the immune system. Chives are known to have cancer-fighting properties. The Chives grew huge in his garden, they also loved left over cold coffee. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on May 30, 2010: Bob, thank you for the compliment. According to the ODS, this water-soluble B vitamin plays a role in conditions such as: Chives also contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are carotenoids. You can also grow your own without much effort. Anti Inflammatory Properties: Chives have anti inflammatory properties and is great for consuming when suffering from any kind of inflammations. One day, I mean it, I'm handing you a trowel, garden gloves, and a kneeling pad, and you are going to join me in this blood, sweat, and tears! If you can't whole brussels try peeling the leaves off and gently cook like cabbage, they don't taste so strong. In Sweden, the herb is used to make gräddfil sauce to accompany herring. *laughing with you*. As it has anti inflammatory properties, it helps reduce the inflammation and gives good relief from the pain. How Chive is effective for various diseases is listed in repertory format. Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) are among the world’s most versatile and prolific herb plants. This recipe is a family favorite that always stirs up good memories and moments. Thanks for the innovative ideas on making the best use of herbs! Propagation of Chives: Seed - sow spring in a cold frame. :) So glad, as a fellow chive grower, you found this useful. Fresh leaves are excellent for making herbal vinegars and butter. after leaving in a helicopter. Fresh chives are widely available from supermarkets and garden centres. I hope you enjoy discovering them. Dave from Lancashire north west England on May 21, 2010: Sally, really enjoyed this well written informative hub. :). For good production, top-dress with a nitrogen-heavy fertilizer in late spring or early summer if your soil is not already nutrient-rich. When adding chives to hot foods, add them immediately before serving so that they remain fresh and green and retain their subtle flavor. If you harvest the chive plants after their first bloom by cutting all or part of each plant back to within a one-half inch of the soil surface, the plant will grow new foliage, and flowers as well, although in lesser profusion, throughout the summer. Here, learn about the possible…, All vegetables provide key vitamins, minerals, and fiber, but some have even more health benefits than others. And that picture of the seeds is AWESOME! P.S. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on May 25, 2010: Annemaeve, what a cool idea about tossing seeds on the turnpike...but we'd have to pick one of the wildflower patches that don't get mowed down except every second or third year. Top chefs use them as delicacies or as attractive garnishes, … Uses Chives are usually used fresh and are a common addition to baked potatoes, cream soups, and egg dishes. That would be so pretty! Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on July 09, 2012: Derdriu, thank you so much for your gracious comment. Know more about the various uses of this herb below : Culinary Uses : It is used in soups, sauces, caviar, salads, meet, egg dishes, etc. Maybe you'll write a hub and share some of your chive pictures. Thank you!! It improves the appetite, is digestive, hypotensive and tonic. Now, if I can convince my daughter that she might be traded in a friendly way for bacon and potatoes, she just might visit you. Garlic chives also produce white flowers, which can also be used in cooking and have a fairly strong garlicky flavor. The closest we get to chives are spring onions, I think. It's a great way to contain those runners. It is interesting that western cooking may have more culinary understanding of herbs than Indian cooking. Chives are a green vegetable with a mild onion-like flavor. Chives are scientifically known as Allium Schoenoprasum. Just make sure they are dry before they go on that baking sheet and into the freezer. Researchers therefore need to conduct more studies before they can determine the amount a person needs to eat for this effect, and the relative effectiveness of other interventions. The grass had already overtaken where the veggie garden had been but the chives, oregano, borage and comfrey were still holding their own. Hello, hello, from London, UK on May 21, 2010: You wrote an excellent hub with so much information and many tips. Garlic chives, also known as Chinese chives, Asian chives, Chinese leeks, or the Latin allium tuberosum are a common form of chive native to southern China. Learn about 15 of the most healthful…, © 2004-2020 Healthline Media UK Ltd, Brighton, UK, a Red Ventures Company. The chive plant and its flowers make a stunning display in the perennial garden. I think my favorite taste is cream cheese and chives. Chives belong to the Allium family as garlic, shallots, leeks, and scallion. So I suppose I'll be buying some tomorrow. They are a popular food worldwide, and they have many health benefits. I have chives in my garden and I love how beautiful they are and how they attract bees. U could come to the rescue of the continental herb growers. Also, some people may find that eating a lot of chives can cause stomach upset. Thanks Sally it may be late for me this year but next year this is a must, just get some brussel sprouts. It does not contain sodium, and each serving of chives provides only one-tenth of a gram of fat. :). Chives are so pretty; I don't know why I haven't planted them before. Glad you found this hub interesting and useful. Chives make a great addition to many meals and are such an easy way to add extra flavor and color to your cooking. Trish was here last weekend and there were a couple of new blossoms on the chive plants. Native to India and China and dispersed through centuries around the globe, they are beautiful, hardy, tasty, good for your health, and very easy to grow. Health benefits Cancer. According to the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS), the adequate intake (AI) of choline is 550 mg per day for adult males and 425 mg per day for adult females. Chives make a beautiful garnish when scattered over steamed vegetables, fresh salads or summery pasta dishes like pasta primavera. Chives contain a small amount of choline: 0.16 mg per tbsp. Read more about the permaculture uses for chives from Amy at Tenth Acre Farm. Cut leaves toward the base about one inch above the soil. Some studies into allium vegetables and their organic compounds, such as allicin, suggest a positive relationship with certain health conditions. George would look out the patio door and comment that the lawn needed cutting! So when I see some shoots in places they shouldn't be, I pick them and eat them. Not only do chives impart a flavor to many recipes, chives also offer some health benefits. Yes, this is a great opportunity for herb growers of any size to cash in on the desire to claim freshness. Chive flowers produce enormous amounts of seed, which can be easily shaken out of their drying petals. Bulbs are oval shaped and often clumped together. Thanks so much for adding your experience here. Thank you, sweetie. Other sources of vitamin K include leafy green vegetables, vegetable oils, and fruits including blueberries and figs. Chives are good for preventing itching of the scalp as well. Chives contain a small amount of choline. Separate the flowers into florets. Om Paramapoonya, you won't be disappointed with those beautiful ice cubes. The seeds sprout easily when they are planted in a moist growing medium and set on a sunny windowsill. According to some research, lutein and zeaxanthin accumulate in the retina of the eye to help prevent age-related macular degeneration. That said, to get a significant amount of these nutrients, a person would have to eat a large quantity of chives. This article looks at research into the health benefits of garlic and the…, People have used passionflower for medicinal purposes for centuries. I grow lots of chives in my organic garden, and I know from experience that the flowers can house the tiniest bugs imaginable. In Europe herbs are used raw but in the continental foods it is part of the cooked veggie or poultry or meat dish. I didn't know chive flowers can be eaten. Last medically reviewed on January 27, 2020, Onions belong to the Allium family of vegetables and herbs. Parts Used: Fresh and dried stems, which are called scapes. It's fresh and light, not at all like a chili pepper or a peppercorn. Cooked garlic chives help in treating digestive, kidney, and liver problems. Antibiotic properties: Chives have antibiotic properties which have the ability to kill harmful microbes present in the body. My diet is restricted to no carbs, only greens and other low- or no-carb veggies. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on June 04, 2010: Dolores, I think you'll really enjoy this addition to a salad. The authors highlighted the compounds S‐allyl mercaptocysteine, quercetin, flavonoids, and ajoene for their potential anticancer properties. The beautiful lavender chive flower is edible. Chop the long, slender chive greens with a knife or snip with scissors. Habby, after you asked your question about how chives would do in the Texas heat, I did a little research, since I've never grown chives in a climate that doesn't have a cold winter. But today I will share 5 ideas to get your wheels turning. Thanks for reading and commenting! What fun! I had to constantly reassure him it was not the grass growing so fast but the chives! You can use chives in really anything that onion would taste good in. Allium vegetables and their components may have effects at various stages of cancer and could affect biological processes that modify a person’s risk. However, the productive growth cycle is commonly completed within a year. Research has linked vegetable-rich diets with a reduced risk of many types of cancer. Use Chive Plants to Control Soil Erosion. Don't sell your child I will swap for a couple of days so you can have those potatoes!!! This article provides an overview of chives, including a nutritional breakdown, their possible health benefits, and some ways to incorporate chives into the diet. Garlic may also have antitumor and antimicrobial effects. FP and Sally...they are known as choti pyaz(little onions) in India and yes I have seen it made as a full dish on its own. The whole plant is said to repel insects and moles. Nothing like almost losing something to make you appreciate it more! A common serving is about 1 tablespoon (tbsp), or 3 grams. The Health Benefits of Chives. Look for fresh chives with a vibrant and even green color, and steer clear of ones that are soft, dry or wilting. Medicinal use of Garlic Chives: The whole plant is antibacterial, cardiac, depurative, digestive, stimulant, stomachic and tonic. Cool the tea and spray on flower and vegetable plants susceptible to mildew infestations. Deb, the peppery taste of the flower is a little bit like nasturtium's flavor. So glad you found some new uses for chives! Common uses of chives. A whole chive flower might make the mouth burn! It is used internally to treat urinary incontinence, kidney and bladder weaknesses etc. Leaves can be used to flavor salads, dips, soups, stews, vinegars, cheese dishes sour cream and butter. The species is not grown over here in Kashmir. Chives are a popular ingredient in French omelets and cheese soufflés. Flavorful chives and onions are often added to Chinese stir-fries. COVID-19: Which interventions reduce transmission? The flowers of this plant are lavender in color. Chives can be a healthy alternative to other flavorings as they are low in calories. Chives are a nutrient-dense food. They are delicious...spicy, fresh, peppery, and beautiful in a salad. It may be that the chives both Dianacharles and Feline Prophet mention are Allium tuberosum rather than Allium schoenoprasum, the subject of this hub. I've never eaten the flower, though. Thanks we need to know the details of cooking chives real ones from india if we ca . I'm getting hungry... Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on June 17, 2010: Pcunix, you are welcome.

Northwestern Fjord Tour, Al-tirmidhi Hadith 38, Raf Uniform Shop, Silica Gel Packets Uses, Banana Before Football, Even In Kannada Meaning, Blackarch System Requirements, Miele G7150 Scvi Review, Field Museum Virtual Tour,