LINE : @UFAPRO888S

norwegian sweet soup

This sweet soup is one of those foods. I have not, but I bet it would work wonderfully. Discard the rice and cinnamon, reserve the water. When soup is done, add grape juice. A photo posted by Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog (@cheaprecipeblog), Serve with sliced cheese on the side (a sharp white cheddar or gjetost cheese would be nice). I just made my family’s version for the first time myself after growing up eating my mom’s, after her growing up with her grandmother’s… it’s a long tradition. I also used the cinnamon stick instead of the powder. Today, I’m continuing on with another family favorite: Sweet soup. Soak tapioca in water overnight. What we get never leaves any “fish eyes”. That would be a wonderful surprise! Thank you for sharing! Do you have a recipe for “raspberry pot pie”? Miss my ND produce here in TX. Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #CheapRecipeBlog, I was told that sweet soup was made for new mothers. I’ve had a blast posting these traditional Norwegian recipes on my blog: I received really great feedback, mostly from people who have some connection to Norway or people who have Norwegian ancestry. Combine all ingredients except grape juice and cook until fruit is tender. I suppose in rural Minnesota that was all he could find. I recently made Sweet Soup Norwegian Ring Cake (Kransekake) Ring cake, or kransekaka, is the signature, splendid, tall flourless … A photo posted by Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog (@cheaprecipeblog) on Nov 2, 2015 at 7:52pm PST. This is so fascinating! I linked this recipe in an email to another favored blogger, Deb Perlman, of Smitten Kitchen. Serve hot or cold, as desired! Ingredients 5 cups water 1/4 cup large pearl tapioca 1 cup chopped prunes 1/2 cup raisins 1 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped 3/4 cup sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon Zest from 1 lemon 1 tablespoon … Double win! Hi Jim – Sorry to say I’ve never heard of it, nor has my mother. My mother was the daughter of Norwegian immigrants who homesteaded our small Wisconsin dairy farm in the late 1800s. Your email address will not be published. Depending on the time of year, serve as preferred: Serve warm as soup or dessert. I lived in a Norwegian home as a teen, and the mom in the household made Norwegian fruit soup/pudding, but instead of tapioca, she used pearl barley. For some years now I have made it in a double boiler, and I find that it is a better way than on the stovetop. This is delicious served warm when it is cold outside, but it is also good served cold when it is hot outside. This sounds utterly wonderful! Norwegian Krumkake. Sweet Soup was one of those which she made. When my mother was a child, sweet soup was a traditional part of Christmas Eve, served cold with julekake, lefse, Christmas bread, or open-faced sandwiches. The flavors are deep and delicious, and I invariably go back for a second helping. I added the rest of the ingredients and threw it in my slow cooker. It was fruit to help the mother from becoming constipated. Grew up eating this every Christmas <3 might make this year and surprise my sister. Cook over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan until tapioca is clear and the fruit is tender, about 10 minutes. I cooked the pearl tapioca for an hour, and it still hadn’t turned clear. Can be served hot or cold. He was gracious enough to let me stage the ingredients . I’m not sure how you would spell that in Norwegian but that’s how it sounded to me as an English child. My ancestors immigrated from Denmark, and we make a similar “soos-soup” (essentially sweet, fruit soup) every year on Christmas eve with Danish Abelskiver (round pancake balls). Stir in dried apples, raisins or currants, dried apricots, dried prunes, pearl... Sweet soup can be … There is just no other way to soften it, so you have to plan a day in advance. Copyright 2007 - 2020 Tanya Jolly & Sally Stevens, Volunteer Spotlight: Carrie R. in Fort Morgan, Colorado, A bottle of Cranberry-Raspberry Juice (use the size needed for your family-- we had 7, so we used a large bottle), Peeled and chopped sweet apple (we used 1 large Honeycrisp apple, and you could also used dried), Peeled and chopped pear (you could also use dried), A large handful of chopped dried apricots, Raisins, Dried cherries, Craisins, or other dried fruit as desired. And then left overs (if there are any) the next day or two, too. Add rest of ingredients except grape juice and boil until fruit is tender, about 30 minutes. Cheap Recipe Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. norwegian sweet soup. We all loved it This is what my Mom told me too…. I want to try that! Sot Suppe (Norwegian Sweet Soup) My mother was the daughter of Norwegian immigrants who homesteaded our small Wisconsin dairy farm in the late 1800s. Mom made it for me after my first baby. She said that meant old woman soup and that it was called that because it helped with constipation. I’ve never canned sweet soup. Hey, I am just sharing what I was told. Love the taste. Pickled sardines with crisp anchovies, boiled potatoes, sweet dill and mustard sauce by Matt Tebbutt ... (Norwegian pierogi) by The Hairy Bikers. I guess she was right?! When my mother was a little girl, her mother, a Norwegian immigrant, would make Sot Suppe for Christmas Eve. Nov 17, 2019 - Norwegian sweet soup (sot suppe) is a traditional recipe made with dried fruit and tapioca. You’re right about it scorching and sticking if you’re not careful. NORWEGIAN SWEET SOUP : 1 c. prunes 1 c. raisins 1/2 c. currants 1 c. chopped apples 2 c. grape juice 3 c. water 1 c. sugar 1/2 c. minute tapioca 1 stick cinnamon 1/4 tsp. Add a dollop of sour cream or whipped cream, which ever you want. In the Norwegian Sweet Soup recipe, do you mean Tapioca pearls, instead of Tapioca pears???? If you cook on the stovetop and forget about it, it can scorch and stick. The one thing that is necessary, is to soak the tapioca overnight. Your email address will not be published. Ha en god dag! Excited to see how the recipes match up. Serve … Growing up, we would eat traditional Norwegian foods on special occasions. Step 1 Simmer water with rice and cinnamon sticks for 20 minutes. It may not look like much, but it’s amazing! So fun to find this! My mother would make this soup throughout the winter months and still a favorite of mine. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. The sour cream or whipped cream addition sounds delicious. It tasted just like the kind my grandma used to make. This serves 8 to 10 people depending on the serving size. I remember she would let hers simmer with a cinnamon stick. Since this recipe will be unfamiliar to many of you, I’m offering up a few ways to enjoy it: This is a special occasion recipe, more than anything – at least that is how we always enjoyed it. It’s is almost identical to my late MIL’s recipe which I could not lay my hands on at the time, so I found this and used it as my guide. He only used prunes, raisins and cinnamon sticks. I miss my Grandmas fish eyes in her prune pudding!! Really enjoying the connection to my Norwegian roots. I miss the fish eyes. 6 cups water 1/3 cup sugar The starch in the tapioca helps to thicken this soup. Always fabulous and such a warm reminder of family, heritage and the holidays! It sounds delicious, however! 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (depending upon how well you like the taste of cinnamon; you can … I'm here to show you that cheap cooking can be really, really good. These foods have come to mean the holidays for me, and are things I look forward to eating every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas, as do my children. Just like my mother made every year. Spritz cookies. Bring 5 cups of water to a steady boil. This is a tart fruit soup combining cherries, raspberries, and apples. Place the tapioca in a bowl with enough water to cover, and soak 8 hours, or overnight. What traditional foods do you eat around the holidays? Get full Norwegian Sweet Soup Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. We are glad this crockpot is still going strong, and cooks low and steady, unlike our newer and larger crockpot, which can’t seem to cook at low enough temperatures. It was always served with heavy cream or as a treat with vanilla ice cream. salt. Return the water to the stove, and add the apple; simmer for 5 to 10 … Good idea to add a cinnamon stick while simmering. . I think I’ve heard some variation of that. It will be a very sad day when this hardy crockpot dies. After about two houra on high, the tapioca was clear and unburned. PS: Thanks for the tip about eating it over yogurt! As a side note my mom would add blackberry preserves or red current preserves to the soup, it added a wonderful taste to it. https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/norwegian-fiskesuppe-recipe Cook overnight, removing the cinnamon sticks so as to not overpower the soup. One of my first Christmas memories with my then-new-boyfriend 10 years ago  (now he’s my fabulous husband) was experiencing some of his deeply rooted family food traditions with his parents. Advertisement Hopefully his recipe will be similar. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. It all just disolves away. I’ve searched for years without success to find anyone who’s familiar with it Combine juice with tapioca in large saucepan and let sit 5 minutes. I would love a recipe if you have one! Sorry, I can’t help you with that. ). Now I’m making it for my very old dad to remind him of his Norwegian Mom. Pour the juice into the crockpot, and add all of the fruit, the tapoica, and the cinnamon sticks. Reminds me of a traditional holiday soup for my family that my grandmother called Grape Soup (unfortunately I don’t know the German name for it, probably something with kirsch in the name). When my mother was a child, sweet soup was a traditional part of Christmas Eve, served cold with julekake, lefse, Christmas bread, or … My mother and mother in law made this soup and have been looking for it as my spouse wants me to make him some. My wife and I have been making it every winter for the 44 years we have been married but have really doctored my dads recipe. This was also served by my mother and grandmother. Enter your email address below and receive new posts by email. I will try sweet soup!! FIND US 1455 W Lake St Minneapolis, MN, 55408 CONTACT US Mon-Th: 8 am-5 pm, Fri: 8 am-Noon, CT Phone: (612) 827-3611 Fax: (612) 827-0658 I was looking for a compote recipe there to compare sweet soup to a compote for fruit addition ideas. I believe moms recipe is in a cook book somewhere. I plan on trying this soon for my family though. It was very easy. He is Norwaigian decedent. One year I made such a big batch I canned it, which was a first for me, and how handy to just grab a jar off the fruit cellar shelf. Good luck! The croutons sound delicious! Steps to Make It Gather the ingredients. That makes me very happy. Sep 28, 2016 - Norwegian sweet soup (sot suppe) is a traditional recipe made with dried fruit and tapioca. It’s something my grandma used to make with pride: a sweet combination of dried fruits, tapioca, and spices. May 9, 2018 - Norwegian sweet soup (sot suppe) is a traditional recipe made with dried fruit and tapioca. She always made her own croutons, diced bread and cooked in butter and brown sugar. I used a combination of dried apricots, apples, and prunes. Make a batch for your family Christmas celebration, Easter or Syttende Mai (17th of May). Norweigan Sweet soup. My grandma called this “Chadding Soup”. Going to use my dried fruit: kiwi and ginger. norwegian fish soup. This is the first time I made sweet soup (sot suppe, in Norwegian) myself. We also heard it was made for new mothers, which I would eat as my first meal after the birth of my children. I’m planning tomuse only apricots. Rate this Norwegian Sweet Soup recipe with 1/2 cup minute tapioca, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 stick cinnamon, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup apple, chopped, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 cups grape juice, 1 cup currants, 1 cup pitted prunes Soaking my lg tapioca pearls overnight. LOL. I have grown up with what we call prune pudding, I unfortunately don’t have a recipe and my grandmother passed away. Yum! Growing up, I had a couple of family recipes that got handed down, but there was not really something we ate and made every year that had historical significance, so these traditions from my husband’s family have come to be a treasured part of my holidays. I hope you can find this recipe! Had to blend them w a little water. Then add grape juice and 1/2 lemon sliced. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/34191/norwegian-christmas-cabbage I didn’t find one and thought she might like to take a look at this. Just to make sure I made it according to family traditions, I had my Father-in-Law walk me though how to make it. It would be crispy sweet on the outside and soft inside, a delicious compliment to the soup. Thanks for the tips, Terry! Thanks for your comment. My mother used to cook various Norwegian foods at Christmas time. One of the fun things about making this soup in our family is using the old crockpot my husband inherited from his grandmother, which I’m certain made many many helpings of this sweet soup over the years, too. Whisk out any remaining lumps of … Set fruit aside. You can eat well and on a budget - I do it all the time! I started with 1/2 cup sugar, and upped it to your measurement (due to the cranberries), as well. Maybe I should started eating it a day or two before. May 9, 2018 - Norwegian sweet soup (sot suppe) is a traditional recipe made with dried fruit and tapioca. She would add port wine to the adults portions. I made your sweet soup and it was wonderful. Instead of tapioca can I use cornstarch and how would I do that! My grandmother, whose family came from Sweden used to make it when I was a kid. Allrecipes has more than 30 trusted Norwegian recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. By Helen H. ... Norwegian Fruit Soup. Thanks for your comment, Karen . After the birth of my first child my mother made some sweet soup and said the very same thing. (We like it hot! Dec 21, 2019 - Norwegian sweet soup (sot suppe) is a traditional recipe made with dried fruit and tapioca. Thanks for sharing! I think it’s possible, but I have never tried it! Whisk in the remaining flour. Haha, that’s awesome! Add fruit and continue to cook until thickened and clear. This is Christmas and all the happy memories. I have been enjoying sweet soup since I was a child when my dad would make it. To start our Thanksgiving this year, we had Sweet Soup and Swedish pancakes for breakfast. yum! Our “recipe” is much less precise though: including whatever fresh, canned, dried fruits are in the pantry and whatever juice is in the fridge. 20 min 1 ora 40 min norwegian sweet soup Read recipe >> purresuppe - norwegian leek and potato soup. DIRECTIONS Add tapioca to boiling water, stirring frequently. Pour the juice into the crockpot, and add all of the fruit, the tapoica, and the … Dice the dried fruit (except the prunes) as needed, into the desired size. I spent a day at the Scandinavian Christmas fair late last month with Jeanne from (the same as featured. ... lefse are baked on the griddle and served with either sweet or savory fillings. Changing the World one Dinner Table at a Time. Recipes can really do that! Wondering if a little rhubarb might be fun. What we are having a hard time finding is “good” large pearl tapioca. Let me know if you try it. Same here!!! I used raisins, dark and golden, prunes and dried cranberries, which sort of fell apart but left a wonderful hint of red color and a slight tanginess to the soup. and very delicious and hubby likes it to. What is the process for canning the soup? Use any combination of mix dried fruit (ingredient #5, below). May it live forever! Allow to cool. Thank you. I’m 80 years old, and I’d surely love to have some today. I recommend large pearl tapioca, but a smaller tapioca would also work. I’ve been making søtsuppe for many years usually at Christmastime. Thanks! It was always delicious and can be served cold in summer or hot in winter. I hope you don’t mind that I linked this. Serve. Sot Suppe (Sweet Soup) (Norwegian recipe) Click here to buy The Rural Route 2 Cookbook. And the best part? she would make sot suppe every so often…. Add spices and lemon zest and cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes. I haven’t heard of prune pudding… sounds interesting! The sweet fruity goodness of the soup warms me heart and my belly! Slowly whisk in the warm milk. Required fields are marked *. In the morning, add fruit, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon zest. Hello there!

Vw Polo 2020 Interior, Bible Verses For Pastor Appreciation Day, Ehren Kassam Net Worth, Hidayatullah National Law University Fees, Restaurants Open In Townsville,